Taking Risk Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer?

4 posters

Go down

Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer? Empty Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer?

Post by Ex1Ash069 Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:56 am

To answer this question, I've been on a British education for my entire life so I am very used to typing, writing and also speaking in a more British kind of environment.

I'm just interested whether you are able to differentiate whether the words you use are in an American form or British. Such examples are:

flavored vs flavoured
color vs colour
immortalize vs immortalise

Or even pronunciation of the words.

Ash 069 Ex1

Ex1Ash069
ศาสตราจารย์
ศาสตราจารย์

Back to top Go down

Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer? Empty Re: Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer?

Post by 41Wissawakorn029 Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Of course! These two forms seem completely different which make them easy to distinguish. When it comes to typing, I usually use the American one as I get familiar with it. Although I am interested in American English, I am able to tell which one is which. However, there might be some words which I have never before known. My vocabulary size needs improvement.

Wissawakorn 029 4EN
41Wissawakorn029
41Wissawakorn029
ศาสตราจารย์
ศาสตราจารย์

Back to top Go down

Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer? Empty Re: Can you differentiate whether the word is written in American or British English, and which one do you prefer?

Post by 42Satesiri094 Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:58 pm

To distinguish whether the word is British or American English is quite obvious and easy. Both of them has its own distinctions. For example, in American English, the sound /r/ is always pronounced in every position of the word while, in British English, it's not articulated when appearting at the last position of the word. Moreover, as you mentioned, the word "colour, favour, or honour" is British English whilst American English crosses "u" out.

Satesiri 094 4EN
42Satesiri094
42Satesiri094
ศาสตราจารย์
ศาสตราจารย์

Back to top Go down

Post by 41chonlamas008 Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:29 pm

I can do it and the one that writes longer and harder is the British way.
I prefer to use the British English style when I write something.
However, my computer will change into the American version.
That is very messed my head.
LOL

Chonlamas 4EN 008
41chonlamas008
41chonlamas008
ศาสตราจารย์
ศาสตราจารย์

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down